Sunday, November 8, 2009

Separation

"We know that we should desire intimacy with God. The better and saner part of us does. But there is in each of us a dark impulse toward separation, a love of distance. We want to see God, not face-to-face, but in rough silhouette, to hear, not the thunder of His shout or the sweetness of His whisper, but only rumors of Him, faint and faraway echoes." -Your God Is Too Safe, Mark Buchanan, pg 22.

A love of distance. The more I think about this the more I realize how true it is in my life. Why don't I allow myself to get closer to God? Why am I not willing to take steps toward Him? I think it's because I'm comfortable where I am. To a certain degree, I still experience God from a distance. But this is not how I am called to live my life. God desires intimacy with me. He wants me to experience Him up close and personally.

So what is holding me back?
What is stopping me from running full force into the arms of my God?

He's not safe.

I will most likely experience pain. It will be scary. He will tell me things that I don't always want to hear.
But He is God. He has my best interest in mind. The closer I am to Him, the more He will bless
me. I will see His beauty and power displayed majestically.

May I completely abandon my own selfish fears, step out my my comfort zone, and run directly into the arms of my Saviour.

--------
"Aslan a man!" said Mr. Beaver sternly. "Certainly not. I tell you, he is the King of the wood and the son of the great Emperor-Beyond-the-Sea...."
"Ooh!" said Susan, "I'd thought he was a man. Is he--quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion."
"That you will, dearie, and no mistake," said Mrs. Beaver, "if there's anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they're either braver than most or else just silly."
"Then he isn't safe?" said Lucy.
"Safe?" said Mr. Beaver. "Don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you."

No comments:

Post a Comment