Thursday, July 9, 2009

Calming the Storm

Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!"
He replied, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.
The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!" Matthew 8:23-27

I was reading this passage the other day, and my immediate reaction was anger towards the disciples. How could they be so faithless? They had Jesus in the boat with them. Of course they were going to be ok. The Lord quickly broke my pride as I realized that, more times then not, this is the way I live my life.

So often I think that Jesus is sleeping on the bottom of the boat. My life is being tossed about by the waves of the storm, and I feel like I'm doing all I can to save myself from drowning. Jesus doesn't care about me. He's asleep and leaving me to fend for myself. Since Jesus is so unaware of my problems, I obviously need to wake Him up and clue Him in on my life...right?

So I run to Him, accusing Him of not helping me, not caring about what is going on. How can He be asleep as my life is in shambles? As I angrily wake Him up and scream and Him to help me, Jesus calmly looks at me and says "Emily, you of little faith, why are you so afraid?" And in His perfect timing, He gets up and calms the storms and winds of my life.

"What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey Him." He is a God of faithfulness. One that never leaves us or forsakes us. I need to quit living my life thinking that Jesus is asleep and not concerned about me. I serve a faithful God. He has proven Himself time and time again. I need to trust that He will be faithful to keep His promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment